Saturday, December 17, 2011

How Joseph got a boo boo

I love my willow tree nativity set. So does my sweet two year old, Drew. I don't have the manger for it, so we flipped an old crate from Shaun's grandparents farm on its side, and I actually like that better. Only Joseph doesn't fit, he's just a little too tall. The nativity is in our dining room, and Drew tells me at pretty much every meal "Joseph, don't, fit." (there's a comma between every word because that's the way Drew talks, very precisely, pausing and choosing each word so carefully.) Whenever Drew has been playing with the nativity I can tell because every character who can fit is always in the barn/crate, and there's Joseph standing outside.
Well Drew must have been trying to make Joseph fit or something because he accidentally dropped him and Joseph's arm and staff broke off. My first reaction was to think about telling Drew he can't play with mommy's nativity set anymore. But then I realized something. In 25 years, when we pull out our nativity set and our kids are way past the point of wanting to play with mary and baby Jesus and the wisemen, we're gonna miss that time. I fixed Joseph right up with a little gorilla glue and some hot glue for his staff. He's not perfect anymore, and you can see where his arm broke off. Now when Drew looks at Joseph he says "Joseph, have, boo boo."
But every year from now on I'm gonna smile when I pull him out of the box. I'll remember the way Drew talked, the way he looked so sad when he accidentally broke him, the way he thinks all crates are barns now, and his happy little boy high pitch voice. I'm so happy Joseph has a boo boo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment