Saturday, June 16, 2012

What's Your But?

I was laying awake at five thirty this morning thinking about this... quite random, but I am pretty sure it was God. It all started with this:

I was thinking how some people will say "Babies are cute, but they're a lot of work." And others will say, "Babies are a lot of work, but they're so cute!" (I would like to be in the latter category of people.)

Two entirely different meanings. A "but" can change more than just the meaning of your sentence. It can change your entire outlook on life. (insert grinch voice for italicized words- sorry, I'm a movie quoter, you don't really have to...) ;)

Here's another example: "I have this dream for my life, but this, this, and this." (exchange the word this for whatever it is standing in your way.) Now reverse the sentence. "This, this, and this, but I have a dream for my life." New meaning: no matter how great the obstacles, there's nothing I'm gonna let stand between me and my dream.

Our pastor says all the time"But God!" In other words, here's the reality, the circumstance, the situation from human perspective, BUT GOD can turn it all around.

I guess this is kind of just my take on the whole "is the glass half full or half empty" thing. How am I looking at my situation right now? Is there a but in there anywhere? If so, can I flip my sentence around and change my perspective on things? Or if there's not a but in there anywhere, can I add one to the end and say "but God."

Bottom line, make your "but" the best part of your sentence. :) There's my 5:30 a.m. thoughts for the day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment