Tuesday, May 7, 2013

springtime backyard campfire

This past weekend we were out in Ohio for Shaun's uncle's funeral... It was so sad, but really good to see the rest of the family and see the way they made everything into a celebration of his life. It was a lot of time spent in the car with two little kids, but I seriously couldn't have asked for anything more from them. They were so good. Other than Isaiah' diaper explosion all over his clothing and car seat and changing him and trying to clean up at an emergency pull off alongside the turnpike, it was a completely pleasant trip both ways. We got back around 5:00 p.m. Monday night, and it was totally Drew's idea to have a campfire in the backyard.

I ran to the store quick and bought hot dogs, rolls and chips and the boys made the fire and then we roasted our hot dogs and ate at the picnic table while we waited for Darren and Steph to come over. Then we all sat around the fire talking while it got dark (and a bat came out.... I HATE bats...) Both boys fell asleep wrapped in blankets on my lap, it was wonderful for so many reasons.... first of course because I love snuggling with them and their little bodies kept me warm but also because it meant un-interrupted conversation for a bit too :)

Concentrating on his hot dog :) 


I love love love these boys :) And no, Isaiah's not growling, that's just his giant cheese smile with a mouthful of food. 


Daddy and Drew roasting our hot dogs for us :) 

 Chowing down :) 

 You can tell Drew didn't get his nap on the way home from the above photo, his eyes look so sleepy! 


Steph pulled out her phone and took a picture of them sleeping on me and emailed it to me :) What a fun sister-in-law I have :) 

It's good to enjoy fully the little things in life, like a spontaneous night around a campfire with family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment