Tuesday, December 18, 2012

whatever is


Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

I was planning on posting photos of our "Christmas House" today. But this was just so much more on my heart. The other day I was feeling irritable, I had a headache, I didn't even know why I wasn't in the nicest of moods other than that I was mentally stewing on a few different situations that I could do nothing about. I was going around and around in my head re-living situations, conversations, actions that were really bothering me but I could not solve right then and there. I was cleaning the bathroom and feeling all unsettled and all of the sudden out of nowhere this verse starts playing in my mind.

Whatever is true. 
That first little snippet whispered in my ear.


A pause.


Then more.

Whatever is noble

Whatever is right.
Whatever is pure

Whatever is lovely

Nothing about what I was thinking was lovely....

Whatever is admirable.
Whatever is excellent or praiseworthy- 

THINK ABOUT SUCH THINGS. 

I sat back on my knees from scrubbing the floor. What timing! It's not like I had just read or heard that verse, but it surfaced through all those other thoughts as a tiny whisper, getting louder, clearer, more meaningful with each sentence. Not a coincidence. I shared the other day about how me and Shaun's conversation about our pasts made me feel all connected and close to him and heartwarming... So, that was the first thing that came to mind as this verse filtered it's way into my consciousness. I hit the off switch to the thoughts that had been occupying my brain, and I let myself relive that happy conversation instead. My headache left. My frame of mind improved. And I wasn't irritable anymore. WOW! THIS VERSE REALLY WORKS!!!!!

I realize that there are times when we have to solve problems or address issues that may be unpleasant. I am not suggesting that we live in an alternate reality and pretend things are always perfect. What I am suggesting is that when you find yourself in a helpless place where thinking about things are out of your control and that can not be described by any of these words is taking a toll on your physical state of being, that you redirect your thinking to something that CAN be described by these words. Jesus knows his stuff. Leave it to Him to begin speaking that perfect verse to my heart right in the midst of a full blown storm of yucky stuff taking over my emotions. I'm telling you- it was a night and day difference in me almost immediately.

Maybe make a list of several things you are thankful for, people you love, or good memories that you can immediately go to when you need to redirect. Just wanted to share this today.

Merry week before Christmas!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment