Monday, November 19, 2012

my mama

Today is my mom's 50th birthday. 
(happy birthday mama!)

There is no one in all the world like a mom. She knows my life story better than I do, I think. She was there for every single up and down, cheering for me through every sport, every success, praying me through every trial, loving me unconditionally. She sleeps with her phone nearby so she can be available to all of us twenty four seven. (Some of us are needier at, say, 2:00 a.m. than others... Randi, you know who I'm talking about... :-P) She is our peace-maker, our go-between when needed, our prayer warrior. She cares SO deeply. She can do it all. She is my example of what a mom should be. Her style, taste, organization, and dependability are just... yeah. Awesome. 

Last night we had a little surprise birthday gathering for her when she got home from Florida with my dad. The pictures are all from that. 

love this :)
Opening her "little latte maker" from us kids.
Lovin' on her grandbabies. 



 With each of her three kids.




 So, before I had kids, I had never in my life had to tell my mom what to do. The transition into doing that once I had babies and had certain ways I wanted them to be handled was hard. Sometimes we both got all emotional through the changes taking place and how our relationship was in unchartered waters for both of us. But I love how after three years of parenting & grand-parenting later it's really starting to settle into a "new normal." (thanks for that term, mom)
Mom, I just want you to know: I couldn't do all this with out you. I cannot imagine having kids, responsibilities, doing the photography thing, without having you there to consult, help me with the boys, advise, pray for me through it, and depend on. Thank you for being available to talk to anytime of day or night. Thanks for picking up random groceries for me when I need them. Thanks for loving us so much. I think about all you mean to me and it makes me cry. I love that you can be serious and responsible one minute and the next minute you can be laughing so hard you're crying and can hardly stand up. (Always at your own jokes :-P) I will always treasure our chaotic family memories, laughing and fighting and making up and being sarcastic and quoting all kinds of random things (including the grinch, each other, and random kids in airports: "I hate cinnabon!")
Random words that come to mind when I think of my favorite memories with you: 

Little Women.
Shopping. 
Pride & Prejudice.
Vacuuming. 
Early morning talks on my way to work.
Lunch dates when I was in college. 
Planning my wedding.
Coffee. (for you, not me)
Sugar Plums and tea.
Art.
Tea parties when I was little.
Homemade bread.
Coming home and finding surprises on my bed.
Those times when you laugh REALLY really hard. :) 
"Why am I part of this stupid, crazy family??"

I love you so much mama.
Happy Birthday!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment