Wednesday, January 25, 2012

light vs. dark

I've been meditating a lot on the concept of light vs. dark over the past two weeks. Might not seem like there's a lot to think about; when the two encounter each other, light always wins. Hands down. And that's just it. We are the light of the world. But sometimes we live like we're not sure that we always conquer darkness. I want to change my mindset. I want to live like a "city on a hill".  


"You are the light of the world. A city on an hill cannot be hidden.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand; and it gives light to all that are in the house.
Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16


I'm reading Beth Moore's series on James. A quote that stuck out to me was this: "The stakes are up. The fire is lit. It's time to live like those who cannot die." Wow.... 

Flashlight vs. lightbulb

Sometimes I have the mentality that I am a flashlight. I choose when and where to shine, and I can get rid of darkness in a certain corner or on a certain path, wherever I focus. God's been challenging me to live like an un-shaded light bulb. No off switch, shing in all directions, just being light. Where he is, there is no darkness, and He is in me! AHHH!!! This is exciting! I am not saying there is no sin in my life, but there is no darkness. By darkness I mean prevailing plans of the enemy, purposeful or willful choice to allow fear/evil to reside in the home of my heart. And any that is there, I am choosing to let light shine on it and get it out. This can actually be scary...

If you're in the dark, you can have secrets. No one knows what you really look like, if you're having a "bad hair day" or have tears running down your face. In the light, all is revealed. But that's where healing takes place and we are held accountable, and that's where I want to live. The only shadow I want left in my life is the shadow of the cross.

I heard this worship song the other day for the first time, and it ties together my thoughts on fear & light vs. dark perfectly, and seems written for this season in my life. Love how music can be that way. Here are the lyrics:

Life is full of light and shadow
O the joy and O the sorrow
O the sorrow

And yet will He bring
Dark to light
And yet will He bring
Day from night

When shadows fall on us
We will not fear 
We will remember
When darkness falls on us
We will not fear
We will remember

When all seems lost
When we're thrown and we're tossed
We remember the cost
We rest in Him
Shadow of the cross

It's called Shadows by The David Crowder band. Look it up on you tube... It's so good.




No comments:

Post a Comment