Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Be Present. (31 days)

Do you know what I'm talking about when I say "It was a moment..." ? Like, the kind of moment that sticks out in your mind as one of your most cherished memories, the kind that make your heart swell to bursting with the feeling that comes rushing to the surface at the mere recollection of it. Those moments when you are fully engaged, your emotions are raw, your senses are aware, and you feel like if you could just throw your arms wide and breathe in deep you would never need nor want anything more than the life that is happening around you right then and there. I desperately want my life to be comprised of such moments, on purpose, and not just by accident. These are the kind of moments that happen when you choose to be present.


~~~~~

I have always been intrigued with the idea of writing for an extended period of time about one idea. I'm joining with the Nesting Place Community to write for 31 days on one topic this month. Although this period in time is not ideal for adding in another thing (my brother's wedding is in a week an a half, two of my babies have birthdays this month, and a family getaway is planned, right after which my sister's bridal shower and wedding take place) I figure there may never be an "ideal" time to do it, and this feels like a challenge that is life giving to me. This past year there has been a repeating theme for me, a concept that I keep coming back to again and again: Intentionally setting the course of my mind and my thoughts, focusing my energy and reminding myself to be present, truly present in the here and now. It takes intentionality. It takes determination. Especially in our culture of distraction. I'd love to spend a month reflecting on the journey this has been for me over the past year or so. While I don't have everything all planned out per say, you can expect posts both long and short, sometimes a photo that is representative of a real-life moment I find beautiful, how this concept influences my life as a mother, wife, and photographer, and together we'll see where this goes.

My over-arcing motto that I remind myself of often is this:

It is wisdom to plan for the future. And it is important to look back at your past, both to learn from it and to remind yourself of the Lord's faithfulness. But the present is where real life happens. The present is where you meet God.


And that is why I'd like to make sure I am spending plenty of my time right there; in the present. Join me over the month of October while I reflect on this concept some more? I'd love it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment